Put Your Wishes In Writing: Customized Estate Plans
Whether you are starting a family or nearing retirement, everyone should have a will and other basic documents. Depending on your assets and your goals, you may need additional strategies such as a revocable trust to avoid probate and protect family wealth.
The Washington Law Firm provides custom estate planning services that fit your needs. We help people from all walks of life – from business owners and professionals to retirees who are getting their affairs in order – in the Tallahassee area. Please call 850-462-7999 to arrange a consultation at your convenience.
Is It Time To Create Or Update Your Will?
People put off estate planning because they think it will be expensive or unpleasant. Attorney John Washington aims to make the process as painless as possible while making sure that you have the necessary and properly drafted documents in place. These may include:
- A will to declare who inherits your property and (if applicable) nominate guardians for your minor children
- Power of attorney for someone to take over your business and financial affairs if you were suddenly incapacitated
- A health care proxy to make medical decisions on your behalf if you are not able to do so
- An advance directive (“living will”) to guide doctors and family members regarding end-of-life care
- A trust to bypass probate, protect assets from creditors or set money aside for the care of a vulnerable adult
You may be tempted to draft your own will from resources on the internet. But such homemade documents may only muddy the waters. It is ambiguous language or details you never thought to address that will cause family conflicts or probate delays. An attorney can ensure that all the bases are covered and your wishes are clearly spelled out in the right “legalese.”
Do You Need Help With Probate Or Estate Administration?
We provide answers and assistance if you were named executor in someone’s will or appointed as a personal representative in the absence of a will. The duties can be complex and time-consuming, especially if the person’s estate must go through the Florida probate process.
John Washington will help you navigate probate and carry out your obligations, including:
- Opening the estate in probate court
- Gathering the assets and paperwork
- Identifying heirs and beneficiaries
- Paying creditors
- Liquidating property if necessary to pay debts
- Distribution of the remaining assets
- Accounting and reporting requirements
Mr. Washington’s role can be advisory or more hands-on, depending on your comfort level and time commitment with probate tasks. If you live out of state or on the other end of Florida, we can accomplish many tasks via phone, mail and email to reduce the number of trips you make to Tallahassee. Our goal is to help you close out your loved one’s estate as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible.
Draw On 25 Years Of Legal Experience
John P. Washington II has been licensed to practice law since 1995, with wide experience in both the public and private sectors. He is easy to work with and uniquely qualified to guide you in your estate planning goals or estate administration duties. We invite you to call us at 850-462-7999 or contact us online to schedule your consultation.